An international university in a city you can call home

All international rankings place UdeM in the first percentile of the world’s best universities. It’s therefore not surprising that every year, Montréal attracts thousands of students from around the globe.

Studying at UdeM gives you the chance to experience Montréal, one of the world’s top ten university cities. This bilingual and multiethnic metropolis is known for its cultural diversity that combines North American innovation with irresistible European charm.

UdeM also offers world-class education in all fields of study and places great emphasis on interdisciplinary approaches. Here, you have everything you need for an enriching international experience that will open you to new horizons.

An office dedicated to you

The Bureau des étudiants internationaux (Foreign students office) helps you feel comfortable at Université de Montréal and in Quebec. You can use these services as soon as you arrive and throughout your stay. BEI staff are exclusively focused on the needs of international students.

Scholarships and funding

Many scholarships and funding opportunities are available for international graduate students. Visit the Scholarships and funding section of this site to find out more.

Formalities for entering and staying in Canada

International students who wish to study in Quebec must meet certain requirements of the Government of Quebec and the Government of Canada. Once admitted to UdeM, international students must first obtain a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) as well as a study permit and, in some cases, a visitor visa from the Government of Canada.

To obtain these documents, contact the Quebec authorities and the Canadian diplomatic mission for your territory of residence after you receive the official letter of admission from UdeM. You must prove that you have been admitted as a full-time student to UdeM and that you have sufficient financial resources.

It is also essential to note that you must also obtain the required visitor visa and study permit before arriving in Canada.

However, the CAQ and the study permit are no longer required if your program lasts six months or less, as a visitor visa is sufficient in this case. Please contact the Canadian diplomatic mission in your area to find out more.


Stay in Canada after graduation

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from Université de Montréal to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length.

French isn’t your first language? Not to worry!

Although Université de Montréal is a French-language university, many of our research departments are open to creating a bilingual environment for students in graduate-level programs. These departments are aware of the importance of bilingualism in order for graduate students to succeed in their research careers.

Students who are proficient in English are therefore welcome and accepted into some graduate-level programs.

Want to improve your French? UdeM has many tools and programs to get you on your way to improving your French language skills.

Do you want to achieve the required language proficiency level in four months?

The four-month intensive program provides the ideal conditions to reach the advanced intermediate level of French proficiency, required for admissibility to most UdeM study programs.

Success stories

Each year, Anglophone students brave the language barrier and come study at Université de Montréal. Hear their stories.

Practical guides for your country