Studies are governed by Undergraduate Studies Regulations and by the following provisions:
Art. 3.4 Specific details related to admission: conditions relating to knowledge of the French language
To be accepted into this program, candidates must have either passed the Épreuve uniforme de français langue d'enseignement et literature—Collégial or present results from the Test de français international (TFI) or another test recognized by the University* attained in the 18 months prior to the start of the session for which they have applied.
- The candidate may request exemption from this test by making a request to the Centre de communication écrite.
- To be admissible to the program, the candidate must have obtained at least 605/990 in the Test de français international (TFI), or B2 in oral and written comprehension on another test recognized by the University.
- Depending on the candidate's results on the French admission test, he or she may be required to take an additional assessment of written French proficiency.
* For admissions purposes, other tests are recognized as equivalent to the Test de français international (TFI). Please see the list of tests recognized by the Université de Montréal, published by the Centre de communication écrite.
Art. 6.3 Registration regime
The student is enrolled on a full- or part-time basis.
- Full-time students are enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits and a maximum of 18 credits per session.
- Part-time (less than 12 credits per term) students student must register for a minimum of nine credits in four consecutive sessions.
Art. 6.6 Upgrading courses
The student may be required to complete and pass two EDP (French as a second language) courses or up to two FRA (French as a mother tongue) courses within the time frame detailed by the respective authority. These required courses are extracurricular courses.
Students who wish to enrol in MAT1903 are strongly advised to take a mathematical assessment test. If his/her test result is insufficient, he/she is strongly recommended to enrol in a course outside the MAT1901 program.
Art. 6.9 Enrolment in extracurricular courses
In addition to the 24 credits in the program, students may enrol in six extracurricular course credits, including upgrading courses in French or mathematics, plus undergraduate courses they have been authorized to take. If the need to upgrade in French or mathematics requires more than six extracurricular credits, the respective authority may authorize the student to enrol in more than six extracurricular credits.
Art. 6.10 Schooling
A minimum study period of two sessions in the program and a maximum period of two years.
Art. 11.2 Average determining program advancement
The cumulative average, calculated at the end of each session, determines progress in the program.
Art. 13.4 Resumption after a failed course
In general, a student who fails a course must repeat it or, with the approval of the respective authority, substitute another course.
Art. 14.1 Promotion system
Course-based promotion prevails in the program.
Art. 14.3 Progress on probation
- A student whose cumulative grade point average is less than 2.0 after completing 12 credits is placed on probation.
- A student who fails to complete a mandatory or optional course is placed on probation.
- A student who satisfies all the program requirements will have their probation lifted and will receive the "completed program designation" allowing him/her to take undergraduate programs.
- At the end of the probationary period, a student who has not met the program transition standard, with a cumulative average of 2.0, is expelled from the program.
- Probation lasts one year. A student's probation cannot be extended, unless otherwise authorized by the respective authority.
- All students on probation must register for their courses with the approval and mediation of the Service d’appui à la formation interdisciplinaire et à la réussite étudiante (SAFIRE).
Art. 18 Granting of grades and certificates
The program cannot lead to a certificate or an attestation. Only the transcript attests that the program has been completed.