Overview and specifics
Dissertation or thesis track
- Offered at the Montréal campus
- Offered at the Virtual campus
- Day course
- With international exchange option
Research subjects are varied and include:
- Astronomy and astrophysics
- Condensed matter and materials physics
- Particle physics
- Plasma physics
- Mathematical physics
- Medical physics
Although Université de Montréal is a French-language university, many of our research departments are open to creating a bilingual environment for students in graduate-level programs. Students who are proficient in English are therefore welcome and accepted into graduate-level programs.
The Department of Physics provides a number of accommodations to make you feel comfortable and help you fulfill the requirements of the program even if French is not your main language of study:
- Choice of giving oral presentations in either French or English.
- Choice of writing exams in French or English.
- Possibility of taking an equivalent course at an English-language university in Montréal.
- Choice of taking the comprehensive exam in either French or English.
- Possibility of writing your doctoral thesis or dissertation in English.
The goal of the program is to train students so that they can independently carry out a cutting-edge research project in their field. Students are taught how to master a new subject, keep their knowledge up to date, and develop their own research projects. Students who complete their doctorate should be able to conduct research as part of a team and eventually carry out their own research projects.
- The Bibliothèque de physique (physics library) and computer labs reserved for physics students for their assignments: experiment write-ups, digital physics labs, symbolic computation tools, and more.
- Lectures given by renowned researchers who inform students about the latest advances in the field.
- Professors who are internationally renowned for their publications and their prestigious awards and grants.
Members of the Graduate Studies Committee
- Andrea Bianchi
- Jean-François Carrier
- Claude Leroy
- Richard Mackenzie
- Joëlle Margot
- Daniel Nadeau
Programs to explore
Applicants interested in this program also applied to the following programs: