Minors travelling to Canada

Children under the age of 18 are considered minors in Canada. They must abide by the same rules as any other visitor when entering Canada.

Upon arrival at border services, the child must present:

  • his/her passport
    It is not possible to use a parent’s passport, even if the child’s information is included.
  • a copy of their birth certificate
  • a letter of authorization 
    This is a certified document written in English or French and consists of two parts: a custodian's declaration with the name, the address and telephone number of the adult who will be responsible for the child in Canada and the parents' declaration, signed by both parents or by the legal guardian.

    To help you prepare your file, we will send you this document by email in a .pdf format. The custodian’s declaration will be completed and certified in advance. All you have to do is print it and fill out the part pertaining to you.

Depending on your family situation, you may be asked for additional documents or evidence from border services. Make sure your child leaves with all the appropriate documentation.


Please check to see if you need to obtain an additional document for entry.

Most people will require a visa OR an electronic travel authorization (eTa) to enter Canada (but not both). Some will only need a valid passport.

The documents required for entry depend on:

  • the type of travel document your child intends to travel with
  • the country that issued the travel document
  • your nationality
  • the type of transportation you are using to enter Canada for this trip


Medical coverage

By registering your child for Summer Immersion Program, you are automatically signed up for medical coverage. This protection is obligatory because visitors to Canada are not eligible for Quebec’s provincial health insurance (RAMQ).

The insurance includes the following benefits:

  • Emergency medical care
  • Transportation and repatriation
  • Living expenses

You can increase the amount of coverage that will be in effect for an additional fee, if you wish. You will receive all necessary information when you register.