Formalities for international students

Canadian citizens and permanent residents do not have to complete the procedures described on this page. International students must follow immigration procedures to plan for their arrival in Canada. If you have any questions about your study permit and CAQ application, contact the Bureau des étudiants internationaux (BEI).

We also invite you to consult the web pages of the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI) du Québec and Immigration Canada to learn about the impact of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on services offered to international students.


As an international student, you must begin your immigration paperwork as soon as you receive a conditional offer of admission to a study program after you have successfully completed the French Intensive Program. It is your responsibility to submit your documents promptly in order to receive your immigration papers in time to begin your study session.

If you wish to start in the winter session, please note that the deadline for obtaining a study permit is extremely limited. That’s why you must apply as soon as possible to begin your immigration process.

Studies of over 6 months

If you reside outside Canada, before you arrive in the country, you will need to obtain:

Since immigration procedures can take several months, we recommend that you start them as soon as you receive the following documents:

  •  a letter of admission to your study program 
  •  a letter of admission to the Intensive University French Program 
    • You will be asked to provide the reason for your arrival four months prior to the start of your study program.  

Studies of less than 6 months

Check whether you need to obtain an additional entry document. Most people need a visa OR an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) to come to Canada (but not both). Some only need a valid passport.

The required entry document will depend on:

  • the country issuing the travel document
  • your nationality
  • the means of transportation used to come to Canada for this trip